Skip to content
Berry Spoon Cake
½ cup/115 grams unsalted butter (1 stick), melted, plus more for greasing
1 c fresh, hulled quartered strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and/or blackberries
⅔ cup packed light brown sugar
½ cup 1/2 & 1/2, at room temperature
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup/130 grams all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Heat oven to 350 degrees using an 8-inch (square or round or cast iron baking dish). Add butter to pan and put into the oven about 10 minutes until the butter starts to turn golden brown. Once light brown take out and pour the butter into a mixing bowl. Set hot pan aside.
- While butter is melting put berries in a bowl and mash the berries to release all their juices, and stir in 1/3 cup of the brown sugar and teaspoon lemon zest. Set aside.
- In bowl with butter, add remaining 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/2 & 1/2 and salt, then add the flour and baking powder and continue whisking just until the batter is smooth. Don’t over mix. Add vanilla and nutmeg. Transfer the batter (it’s not much) to the buttered baking dish or pan and spread evenly into corners.
- Spoon the berries and all their juices over the top of the cake batter. Place in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or just when a toothpick comes out clean in the center. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 3 to 5 minutes before spooning into bowls. Serve warm with ice cream.